When I think of the ways in which women exist in the world, and how understated we still are in 2018, I know that women are the key to the future. Across the board, my social media content is specifically curated, so all the women I choose to follow are constant reminders of how powerful, beautiful, diverse, immaculate we truly are.Read More
The year has flown by swiftly as we are wrapping up of the 3rd and preparing to enter the fourth quarter of 2018. Before we know it, we will be celebrating the year II anniversary of #TheSkyBoxSuite (excited!), which officially takes place in November. There has obviously been a lag in content over the past month.Read More
Last week, Aja Wilson asked a question that many WNBA players have posed before her. Tweeting after learning that Lebron James had signed a new $154 million dollar contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, she lamented the fact that WNBA players were “looking for a million.” Many people immediately attacked her stance…Read More
It's a little hard to believe that been one full year since the re-launch of my sports blog, The Sky Box Suite, which has been such a rewarding experience thus far. I'm so proud of its progress and I look forward to continuing on this journey for many years to come.Read More
Juggling motherhood and a career has to be one of the hardest things in the world to do and I imagine it being that much harder to do so as a professional athlete. Because there's such a demand from both sides, these women have so much on their plate and it's their duty to balance, maintain, and protect all of it.Read More
|Photo cred: Richard W. Rodriguez/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS via Getty Images|
|Photo by: Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images|
"...I learned that you have to have a believe in self far greater than anyone else's disbelief. You have to remove all doubt that you aren't worthy or qualified, but to do this you have to work hard. There are no shortcuts in life. 9 times out of 10, when you put the work in, it will work out, but that one time that it doesn't, you can't stand on principle and pride; you have to shake off the disappointment and make the adjustment..."
-Dawn Staley, USC Spring 2015 commencement
|Photo credit: Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images. source.|
There have been several times over the past few weeks since the NCAA tournament that I've wanted to write more in depth about Coach Staley, besides the brief mention on Tidal Wave Wednesdays no.1, but didn't. Even as someone I am personally inspired by and whose career I've followed very closely over the years, I just couldn't find the words, but what better time than her birthday to honor all that she's done and continues to do and for being a beacon of hope in the lives of many. I can't say that my words have done her justice here, but I'm inclined to wish her the best of birthdays and many more to come.
College Basketball / #MarchMadness
|NCAA Printable 2017 bracket via CBS Sports|
- It's game time for #MarchMadness and the brackets are officially in! I haven't filled out my own yet, which I'm planning to do per round, but selection Sunday just passed, the first 64 teams are set, and I'm excited to watch the NCAA tournament play out.
- Speaking of college basketball, has anyone ever heard of or watch the show Bringing Up Ballers (...or something like that) on Lifetime TV network? I saw 10, maybe 15 minutes, of it and I think it's wildly ridiculous. Then again, that's what I think about most reality TV shows. Anyway, that's not why I'm here. Moving on...
- Russell Westbrook achieved a career-high of 58 points in OKC in a loss to the Portland Trailblazers, first since 1974 in franchise history and the second player to score that many points in a loss since Kobe Bryant in 2006. And this is just one of many of his accomplishments this season. MVP? We'll see, but I definitely think he deserves it.
- Speaking of Russell Westbrook, he and his wife, Nina, are supposedly expecting their first child this year, so congrats is due to Brodie and his budding family!
- Quick question: What are the Lakers doing? I really hope this front office revamp plans to execute new strategies sooner than later, because it's been painful to watch my team struggle so much this season.
Russell Westbrook ties Freddie Brown (1974) for the most points in a game by a Sonics/Thunder player in franchise history. pic.twitter.com/dD77ERMCbJ— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) March 8, 2017
NFL / MLB
- Former Jets' wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, signs a 2-year contract with the New York Giants.
- DeMarcus Ware announces retirement from NFL and Dallas Cowboys extend a 1-day contract to ware, so that he can retire #94 with the team.
- Former NFL QB, Tim Tebow, takes on a new adventure in the MLB and seems to be doing well as he has recently made his spring training debut for the NY Mets.
- There's a great buzz around Tony Romo's next move as a free agent, however, I'm not so sure how many details I care to entertain. There's a chance he either goes to Denver or Houston, but neither move is a guarantee at this point.
Women in Sports
- She's Got GAME: There are very few things that make my soul smile more than seeing women dominate in male saturated industries; sports is obviously no exception. Ms. Mo Davis, who has been America's sweetheart for a few years now, is starting to gain D1 attention from her position as point guard and only girl on an all boys basketball team at the Marian Anderson Recreation Center in Philadelphia. The 15 year old super star a graceful young lady, yet extremely fluid in the way she moves from one sport to the next year round. Last month, Mirin Fader interviewed and covered Mo'ne Davis in a compelling article for Bleacher Report that I definitely think is worth the read.
- Michele Roberts, NBPA Executive Director becomes the first woman to lead a major sports union.
- Coach Dawn Staley, head coach at the University of South Carolina, who has lead the woman's basketball team to the NCAA Division I basketball tournament 5 years in a row, was recently named head coach for the USA National Team.
- Last, but not least, Nike will be launching athletic hijabs for Muslim women athletes, which I think is pretty epic. Although this may have more to do with marketing than actual concern, I still think it's brilliant and necessary.
Follow me on Twitter: @TheSkyBoxSuite | @ChymereA
- SLAM Staff. "Russell Westbrook Goes Off For Career-High 58 Points." SLAM Magazine 8 March 2017.source. accessed 14 March 2017 [accessed].
- Orr, Conner. "Brandon Marshall signs with Giants on two-year deal." NFL 8 March 2017: source. Web. 14 March 2017 [accessed].
- Conway, Tyler. "DeMarcus Ware Announces Retirement From NFL After 12 Seasons." Bleacher Report 13 March 2017: source. Web. 14 March 2017 [accessed].
- Speros, Bill. "Laugh all you want, but there's a lot to celebrate in Tim Tebow's MLB Adventure." Bleacher Report 9 March 2017: source. Web. 11 March 2017 [accessed].
- Fader, Mirin. "How Mo'Nae Davis Made Her Hoop Dreams Come True." Bleacher Report 21 February 2017: source. Web. 13 March 2017 [accessed].
- Iacobelli , Pete. The Associated Press. "South Carolina's Dawn Staley named coach of U.S. national team." NCAA 10 March 2017: source. Web. 13 March 2017 [accessed].
- Khan, Aysha. Religion News Service. "Nike to launch ‘Pro Hijab’ for Muslim women athletes." USA Today 7 March 2017: source. Web. 8 March 2017 [accessed].